We created and published a 96-page book of sheet music excerpts for Harp Column Music, a division of our flagship brand Harp Column. We collaborated with former Chicago Symphony Orchestra principal harp Sarah Bullen to edit and design the print-only publication of commonly performed orchestral excerpts, along with accompanying full-length PDF downloads. The book includes both text and notated music examples.
From a design perspective, the biggest challenge was creating fresh, modern look, while also giving a nod to the client’s previous projects in this genre, which are well known in the field.
Design elements we used:
- We utilized white space to highlight the copy, providing balance for pages heavy with music notation.
- We organized and separated content by using lines.
- We chose typography that both matched the classic nature of the content and also connected the project’s look to the nameplate of the publisher’s flagship magazine to provide brand continuity.
- We incorporated magazine design elements such as pulled quotes and sidebars to make the content more reader-friendly.
Other features include:
- 96-pg. print layout using InDesign
- Preparation of eight full-length and excerpted music examples using Sibelius notation software
- Branded template
- Full color cover
- Incorporation of music examples into copy flow
- Image optimization and placement
- Digital to print workflow and proofing
- E-commerce integration with Harp Column Music